Article I – Officers
The duties of the officers shall be as follows:
- The Chair shall be responsible for calling and conducting meetings of the PEA, the PEA Senate, and the Executive Board. The Chair shall act as a representative of the PEA in matters of concern to the PEA and shall sit on the UMA President’s Advisory Council.
- The Vice-Chair shall act as Chair in the event that the Chair is unable to complete his/her duties. In the event that the Chair resigns or becomes incapacitated, the Vice-Chair shall succeed automatically to the Chair.
- The Secretary shall record the minutes of the meetings, maintain any records, and shall maintain correspondence with members.
- The Treasurer shall maintain all financial records and shall be responsible for disbursing funds from the PEA Professional Development Fund.
- The four officers shall constitute the Executive Board and shall meet (at the Chair’s discretion) to assist the Chair in fulfilling the PEA’s purposes.
- All vacancies shall be filled by election at the next meeting of the PEA, provided written notification of the election has been sent out to the membership.
Article II – Meetings
There will be a minimum of one general meeting each year.
The PEA Senate and/or PEA Executive Board will meet as necessary to carry out the business of the PEA. Two-thirds of the PEA Senate (six Senators) is required for a quorum.
The PEA Executive Board will meet as necessary to carry out the business of the PEA. Three-fourths of the Board (3) members shall be required for a quorum.
Article III – Voting
In general, only PEA Senators shall have voting privileges; each Senator is expected to communicate with her/his constituents to garner their input prior to voting. PEA Senate votes are decided by a majority of the Senators voting, providing that at least six Senators (quorum) cast votes.
Under special circumstances, and at the discretion of the Chair, voting may be open to all members. Under such circumstances, a majority vote of the University of Maine at Augusta professional employees voting is required for passage.
Article IV – Procedures
The PEA will conduct itself professionally and ethically, treating all members of the UMA community with respect and courtesy. Policies and procedures required for the Senate to conduct PEA Business will be in a written document.
Article V – Adoption
These proposed By-Laws shall be distributed to the University of Maine at Augusta professional employees for adoption. A majority vote of the University of Maine at Augusta professional employees voting shall be necessary for adoption.
Article VI – Amendments
Proposed amendments to the By-Laws must be submitted in writing to the Chair, who will distribute copies to the PEA. The proposed amendments shall be voted upon by the professional employees no later than thirty days after the date of distribution.
To be enacted, a proposed amendment must be approved by majority vote of the University of Maine at Augusta Professional Employees Assembly.
August 27, 1998 (Original)
June 10, 1998 (DRAFT Revision 1.0)
September 10, 1998 (DRAFT Revision 1.1)
May 2009 (DRAFT Revision 1.2)
September 21, 2009 (Draft Revision 1.3)
November 24, 2009 (Completed Revision)