Getting Started: Veterans & Military Personnel at UMA
This checklist is a guide to assist you with your veteran educational benefits. Some of the steps below can be done simultaneously.
**For first semester student veterans accessing benefits, please allow ample time for processing benefits. At peak time, it can take six to eight weeks for the VA Buffalo Regional Office to process requests.**
- Choose a degree program. For help, contact Enrollment Services at 1-877-UMA-1234
- Review the Admissions Frequently Asked Questions.
- Complete an application and send it to Application Processing. The application fee is waived for active duty military and veterans:
- Below are the websites to review and order your military transcripts. To have your transcripts sent directly to UMA, please address them to Transfer Evaluator, ATTN: Bethany Vigue, 46 University Drive, Augusta, ME 04330
- Check to see if you are a candidate for Prior Learning Assessment.
- Schedule placement tests if required.
- Complete the Veterans On-Line Application (VONAPP) for education benefits. The VA will send you a Letter of Entitlement
- Forward a copy of your Letter of Entitlement to the UMA Registrar’s Office.
- Complete the UMA Request for Certification form for the UMA Certifying Official. To be completed by student every semester, which they wish to receive benefits.
- Apply for financial aid on your own (optional) or attend a Maine Educational Opportunities Center Essentials of College Planning Workshop, UMA’s Title IV School Code is 006760
- Talk with a UMA academic advisor.
- Register for courses.
- Purchase books and materials at the UMA Bookstore.
- Attend new student orientation.
- Attend classes!