UMA was founded in 1965 to meet the higher educational needs of the people of Central Maine. As the University prepares to celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2015, we also hope to leverage this key milestone through a 50th Anniversary Fund campaign to best position ourselves – and in doing so, our people, region and state – for the next half century ahead.
Over UMA’s next fifty years, we will continue our historical commitment to affordable access to higher education for Mainers. We will continue to identify and grow programs that meet key state needs as we currently do in Computer Information Systems, Nursing, Dental Hygiene, and Mental Health. At the same time, our vision also includes the continued development of niche and unique in-state programs as we currently offer in Architecture and Aviation, so that Maine citizens wanting to pursue these professions have an in-state and affordable option.
Most of all, however, UMA’s vision for its next half century includes meeting one of the most pressing challenges facing our state and economy: increasing the number of Maine adults who possess a bachelor’s degree.
In celebration of 50 years of achievement, and with a firm understanding and determination of where we know we need to go, UMA is establishing a 50th Anniversary Fund and campaign, with proceeds raised to be used in five specific areas.
1. Scholarships for non-traditional learners
- Scholarship support for degree completion
- Scholarship support for part-time students
2. Veteran support
- Endow Military Director position
- Expand Veterans lounges on campuses and at centers
- Expand Peer Mentor program on campuses and at centers
3. Support the expansion of online & distance education
- Enhance technical support through instructional designers & training for faculty to develop and improve online offerings
- Enable every UMA program to be taken entirely online
4. Auditorium expansion
- Currently, UMA’s largest campus space seats less than 300 people; its largest networked space seats far less. An expanded and networked auditorium will meet UMA’s needs going forward, as well as those in the region
5. Ongoing support of UMA’s existing Scholarship and Gift Funds
- These funds support all UMA students, programs, and activities