The University of Maine at Augusta Dental Health Programs offers an Expanded Functions Dental Assisting Program; this program includes two semester long courses taught by a local dentist with the assistance of an Expanded Functions Dental Assistant. In the fall, the course includes an online lecture with on campus laboratory sessions scheduled for Friday afternoons (12:00 pm-5:00 pm). During this phase of the program, students complete a variety of expanded function skills on a typodont with direction from the course instructors as well as mentoring from a sponsoring dentist. Upon successful completion of the Fall semester coursework, students are authorized to perform EFDA skills on a patient under the direct supervision of a sponsoring dentist; students are required to attend on campus clinical sessions every-other Friday from 1:00 pm -5:00 pm during the spring semester.
CURRICULUM-The sponsoring dentist and student are required to participate in a calibration meeting which will be held early in the fall semester. The sponsoring dentist will receive CEU credits.
- DEH 380 Preclinical Expanded Functions (6 college credit hours)
- Fall semester: August 29, 2016 – December 17, 2016
- DEH 381 Clinical Expanded Functions (2 college credit hours)
- Spring Semester begins January 2017
- Bench Examination to be administered May 2017
- Upon completion of each course, student will earn Maine Category 1 CEU’s and/or Clinical Category DANB CEU’s, and the respective college credits
|Fall 2016||Spring 2017|
|In-state Tuition||(6 credits @ $217)|
|(2 credits @ $217)|
|Student activity fee||$14||$5|
|Program Fee (includes instruments, typodonts, etc. )*||$3250||$750|
Tuition, fees and other educational costs are approved annually for each of the seven campuses of the University of Maine System by the Board of Trustees. Tuition and fees may be amended between the time of registration and the beginning of classes pending annual Board review.
Application deadline May 1st, 2016
$250 non-refundable deposit is due July 8th, 2016.
Should a student withdraw from the program, University drop/add policies are applicable.
*Loupes will be required. Student discount pricing is available. Fitting will be in August, 2016.
Financial Aid may be available – it is highly recommended students fill out the FAFSA form found on www.fafsa.ed.gov and select University of Maine at Augusta, school code 006760, to have their Student Aid Report (SAR) forwarded.
Note: The Dental Health Programs reserve the right to change the dates, times, or related program costs. The Dental Health Programs also reserve the right to cancel courses due to instructor availability or low student enrollment.
- At least 18 years of age
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Current CDA or RDH with active license in good standing with the Maine Board of Dental Examiners
- At least 1 calendar year full time or 2 years part time employment in clinical practice (within the past 5 years)
- Certified in Healthcare CPR throughout the courses
- Letter of recommendation from dental employer
- Proof of Hepatitis B immunity, Varicella Vaccine, Tetanus, Influenza Vaccine, Tuberculin Skin Test & health insurance coverage
- Standard UMA Application for Admission, or Re-admission if the student graduated from UMA Bangor
- Expanded Function Dental Assisting Application
- Applications will be reviewed beginning in February and remain open until the class is fully enrolled. Enrollment is limited to 12 students per year
*Please note that the Preclinical Expanded Function Dental Assisting Course, DEH 380, can be used in lieu of the DEH400 Practicum to fulfill a Bachelor degree in Hygiene.