Students who apply to complete their elementary education (K-8) student teaching must have:
- Completed, or be in the process of completing, all course requirements for a UMA degree except student teaching
- Completed nine credit hours of UMPI education courses
- Earned an overall GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- Completed six credit hours in each of the following subject areas: mathematics, English, social studies, and science
- Passed all three sections of or achieved a passing composite score on the Praxis™ Core Academic Skills for Educators.
- Passed the PRAXIS II examination in Elementary Education Content Knowledge (5001).
- Met the State of Maine requirements for fingerprinting.
- Completed a student teaching application packet and submitted to Cindy Dean for approval by October 1 for spring placement and February 1 for fall placement.
- Contact Cindy Dean, Coordinator of Teacher Certification, for application packet