Below are the two Commencement Awards that UMA may choose to give out in any given year:
Timeline & Procedure
Timeline and Procedure for Nominations and Selection of Distinguished Achievement Award and the Service to UMA Award
- Nominations for the Distinguished Achievement Award and the Distinguished Service to UMA Award may be submitted by any faculty or staff member, current matriculated UMA student, UMA alumnus, or past or present UMA Board of Visitor.
- Nominations must include the completion of the online Nomination Award Form.
- Nominations may include additional biographical and support materials sent separately to Bob Stein in the Alumni Center or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Nominations must be completed by Thursday, January 16th.
- Nominations will be reviewed by the Commencement Committee. The Committee will forward their recommendations to the President's Cabinet by early February.
- The President's Cabinet will make their selection/s by no later than the end of February. The Cabinet, at their discretion, may also select second choices for awards, in the event a first choice can not attend Commencement.
- Selected nominees will be immediately contacted to apprise them of their award and to ensure they can attend the May 10th Commencement Exercises.
- Selected nominees will only be awarded if they can attend the May 10th Commencement Exercises.
- If a selected nominee can not attend the May 10th Commencement Exercises, the President, at her discretion, can decide to defer the award until following year. The President, at her discretion, may choose to award the Cabinet's second choice for that award.
Distinguished Service to UMA Award
To be awarded to individuals who have contributed significantly to strengthening UMA. Nominees may include alumni, former or current Board of Visitors, friends of UMA from the community or state, and philanthropic supporters or UMA. Former UMA faculty and staff may be nominated as long as it’s for service beyond the responsibilities for which they were compensated. Current faculty and staff are not eligible for this award.