Recently Admitted Applicants
Campus Card Services
About Your UMA CARD
Getting Your UMA Card
Non-Photo ID Request
Adding Value to Your UMA CARD
Using Your UMA CARD
UMA Card Frequently Asked Questions
UMA Student ID Discounts
UMA Card Terms and Conditions
Resources for Students
New Student Orientation
Augusta Campus New Student Orientation Reservation Form
UMA Bangor New Student Orientation Reservation Form
Veterans/Military Personnel
Getting Started
Military Training Credits
Veteran's Request for Certification
First-Year Students (Freshmen)
Registrar and Records
Students With Disabilities
Tuition and Fees
Add/Drop/Withdrawal Charge Appeals
Degree Fees
Exit Interviews
Tuition & Fees
Third Party Sponsorship Of Student Charges
UMA NEBHE Programs
General and Course Fees
Hope Scholarship and Lifetime Learning Credit
Money Matters Bulletin
Net Price Calculator
Add/Drop Policies
Transfer Students
Admissions Staff
Admission FAQs
Application Process
Ready to Apply?
Student Application for Admission
Finish Your Degree
Open House & Admissions Events
Transfer Day Registration Form
Computer Information Systems Program Open House & Project Login Networking Reception
Financial Aid
Loan Terminology
Receiving Your Aid
Repeated Coursework
Repaying Your Aid
Types of Financial Aid
Federal Work-Study Program
Work-Study Job Listing
Payroll Schedule
Loan Programs
Other Aid Programs
Tuition Waivers
Special Circumstances
Eligibility Criteria
Financial Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
Estimated Costs
Withdrawing and Its Impact on Aid
Return of Title IV Funds
Gainful Employment
Glossary of Terms
Applying for Aid
FAFSA On the Web
Financial Aid Forms
Helpful Hints
Opportunity Maine
Adult Students
Enrollment Services Center
Admission Checklist

Dependency Override Appeal: The Higher Education Act allows a financial aid administrator to make dependency overrides on a case-by-case basis for students with unusual circumstances for one academic year at a time. None of the conditions following singularly or in combination qualify as unusual circumstances meriting a dependency override: parental refusal to contribute to a student’s education; parental unwillingness to provide information on the FAFSA or for verification; parents do not claim the student as a dependent for income tax purposes; student demonstrates total self-sufficiency. Documented cases may qualify for consideration. Students that may have a qualifying unusual circumstance must request a “Dependency Status Appeal Form” from the UMA Financial Aid Office.

Loss of Income Appeal: The FAFSA requires a family to report income and benefits received during a specified calendar year. This may not reflect the current financial situation of the family. The Higher Education Act allows UMA to consider the income expected from all sources in the calendar year immediately following the required FAFSA tax year to calculate the family’s current situation. Applications require complete supporting documentation and cannot be submitted in anticipation of the event occurrence: i.e.: loss of job or benefit. Income appeal applications are available beginning July 1.