Nominations are now open for this year’s May 10th Student commencement speaker. Nominations must come from faculty or staff.
Students you nominate should have, in your opinion, the writing and speaking skills necessary to deliver compelling remarks.
If you are interested in submitting a nomination, here is what you need to do:
- Talk to the student first and make sure they are willing to deliver remarks five to seven minutes in length to an audience that numbers in the thousands.
- Make sure the student has a GPA of 3.0 or higher (you can check with the Registrar’s Office at 621-3145).
- Make sure the student is graduating this year with either an Associates or a Bachelor’s degree.
- Complete the online nomination form, which can be found below
- If your nominee is selected, it would be helpful if you would be willing to work with that student as needed.
The deadline for submitting a nomination is February 20th. The Commencement Committee will meet in early March to review all nominations and select one or more finalists.
Finalists will be invited to complete a short form online stating why they are interested in speaking at commencement and what might be the focus of their remarks. The Commencement Committee will review the finalists’ responses and make their selection for student speaker by mid-March.