Recently Admitted Applicants
Campus Card Services
About Your UMA CARD
Getting Your UMA Card
Non-Photo ID Request
Adding Value to Your UMA CARD
Using Your UMA CARD
UMA Card Frequently Asked Questions
UMA Student ID Discounts
UMA Card Terms and Conditions
Resources for Students
New Student Orientation
Veterans/Military Personnel
First-Year Students (Freshmen)
Prospective Students
Registrar and Records
Students With Disabilities
Tuition and Fees
Add/Drop/Withdrawal Charge Appeals
Cash Management Training Session
Degree Fees
Exit Interviews
Tuition & Fees
Third Party Sponsorship Of Student Charges
UMA NEBHE Programs
General and Course Fees
Hope Scholarship and Lifetime Learning Credit
Money Matters Bulletin
Net Price Calculator
Add/Drop Policies
Transfer Students
Admissions Staff
Admission FAQs
Application Process
Ready to Apply?
Student Application for Admission
Finish Your Degree
UMA Open House & Admissions Events
Education Pathways, Mental Health and Human Services and Social Science Program Open House Registration Form
Biology & Medical Lab Technology Programs Open House Registration Form
Transfer Day Registration Form
Returning and New Adult Student Admissions Event Registration Form
Mental Health & Human Services Programs Open House Registration Form
Adult Education Directors & Student Open House Registration Form
Homeschoolers & Parents Open House Registration Form
Adult Students
Enrollment Services Center
Financial Aid
Loan Terminology
Receiving Your Aid
Repeated Coursework
Repaying Your Aid
Special Circumstances
Types of Financial Aid
Federal Work-Study Program
Work-Study Job Listing
Payroll Schedule
Loan Programs
Other Aid Programs
President's Scholarships
Scholarships A-G
Scholarships H-Z
Tuition Waivers
Eligibility Criteria
Estimated Costs
Financial Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
Withdrawing and Its Impact on Aid
Return of Title IV Funds
Gainful Employment
Glossary of Terms
Applying for Aid
FAFSA On the Web
Financial Aid Forms
Helpful Hints
Opportunity Maine

UMA welcomes hundreds of transfer students each semester.  In fact, the majority of our new students are transfer students! Whether you are coming in with a few courses or several semesters of credit, we will work with you to develop your educational plan and maximize your advance standing.


Transfers from Maine's Community Colleges

We work closely with Maine's community colleges to ensure a smooth transition to UMA. Courses are reviewed regularly and the Transfer Course Equivalency Matrix is available to view course-by-course transfer credit values. UMA's Maine Community College Baccalaureate Transfer Guides are a great tool that show how specific community college courses map into specific UMA degree programs.  Click on your major of interest and then view potential transfer courses from your community college.

Prospective students are invited to discuss their specific transfer interests with UMA's admissions team, Transcript Evaluator in the Office of Enrollment Services, advising staff and/or the academic program coordinator.

AdvantageU is a program specifically for MCCS Liberal Arts majors that grants advanced standing, offers dual advising, and waives the application fee.

Maine Community College Baccalaureate Transfer Guides:

Applied Science
Business Administration - Accounting Major
Business Administration - Management Major
Computer Information Systems
Information and Library Services
Justice Studies
Liberal Studies
Mental Health and Human Services
Nursing (RN to BSN Completion Program)
Public Administration
Social Science


Specific Transfer Agreements Outside of the University of Maine and Maine Community College System

UMA's online delivery options are becoming increasingly popular with students outside of Maine's public institutions.  Specific agreements are available with the following institutions:


Northern Essex Community College

Mental Health and Human Services, BS


Palau Community College

Information and Library Services, BS

Transfers from Other University of Maine System Universities

Transfer within institutions of the University of Maine System (UMS) has never been easier! Once you submit an application to UMA, we fetch electronic copies of your UMS transcripts and the other documents you already submitted to the University of Maine System. There is no need for you to resubmit high school transcripts, college transcripts or immunization records. University of Maine System policy is to provide the maximum opportunity for transfer within the System. When a student is accepted for transfer at UMA, all undergraduate degree credits obtained at any campus of the University of Maine System will be transferable to UMA. To see how specific courses transfer within University of Maine institutions, visit the online Transfer Course Equivalency Matrix.

Transfer - International Students

Current F-1 students transferring from an institution located within the United States will need to submit the TRANSFER IN form.  F-1 student status is maintained in the SEVIS data base.  For any student transferring into the University of Maine at Augusta, this form must be sent to the Admissions Office after formal acceptance to the University of Maine at Augusta.

Application Documents

In addition to the application for admission, transfer applicants must submit official transcripts from all previously attended colleges and universities and, if applicable, all test credit documents such as CLEP transcripts. (Note: we will automatically collect your UMS official transcripts and other official documents sent to other UMS institutions.) All documents should be submitted to the UMS Shared Processing Center, PO Box 412, Bangor, ME 04402-0412. Credentials are scanned and sent electronically to UMA for application review and evaluation.  Visit our Ready To Apply page to begin the application process!

Transfer Admission Policy

A student transferring from another college or university should file an application at least three months prior to the semester in which he or she wishes to begin studies. The application must include a statement of the names and addresses of all high schools, postsecondary schools, junior colleges, and universities attended in the past. A transfer student should normally have a minimum of a 2.00 cumulative grade point average in order to be admitted to the University of Maine at Augusta. A student who has been suspended either for academic or disciplinary reasons by one campus of the University of Maine System will not be admitted as a matriculated student for the next academic semester, nor thereafter, until the conditions established for termination of that suspension have been met. A student who has been dismissed or suspended must file a written petition, and may be asked to arrange for an interview with the Dean of Enrollment Services after filing an application.

Transfer Credit

Transfer credit may be given for course work completed at a regionally accredited institution of higher education. Grades of "C" or higher are considered for transfer credit. Once a student has been admitted, the transfer officer or program coordinator will evaluate the transcripts of previous academic work and will mail the evaluation. Each student will be expected to meet the established requirements of the UMA academic program into which he or she has been admitted. Some transfer credit may not be applicable to a specific academic degree program at UMA. UMA and the specific academic department are responsible for determining which transferred courses will meet degree requirements for a particular major. Prospective students who would like to determine which courses are transferable for degree program credit prior to enrollment may contact the Transcript Evaluator in the Office of Enrollment Services.

Applicants also may obtain credit by examination or presentation of portfolio. Visit our Testing and Assessment page for further information.