2022-2023 DEI Mini-Grant Applications are Now Open
Part of the mission of the DEI Council at UMA is to: “create a shared culture of DEI through deliberate and public expressions of DEI values. This means that we will seek to actively and positively create learning communities that are inclusive of sex, gender identity, race, ethnicity, religion, age, and income differences and actively understand and promote the benefits of DEI across our entire community.” We recognize that many UMA students, faculty, and staff are already working towards these goals, and we want to support that great work and hopefully inspire even more creative and practical ways we can educate ourselves and our communities around these important issues.
2021-2022 Mini-Grants Awarded
Congratulations to the Recipients of the 2021-2022 DEI Mini-Grants!
- Unconscious Bias Awareness Workshop to be presented by the Racial
Equity and Justice Firm – Ben Bucklin, Coordinator of First Year Experience & Professional Guide
- Fostering Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion In The Anatomy & Physiology
Classroom – Marta Frisardi, Lecturer in Biology, Specialist in Online Science Teaching
- Justice-Impacted Student Consultant Program – Amanda Nowak, Director of the Prison Education Partnership
- Ending the Fast/Feast Baskets – Lynn Poor, Administrative Specialist, UMA Lewiston Center
This mini-grant application process is open to all members of the UMA community, including full and part-time faculty, staff, and students. We encourage both individual submissions and proposals that include collaboration across UMA and with community organizations.
Award amounts will vary but will be typically no more than $1500 per project. Funds must be spent on the approved project by May 31st.
We encourage proposals that seek to improve UMA’s engagement with Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion issues. By UMA, we mean on the Augusta or Bangor campus, at any UMA Center, and/or for online or distance students regardless of location. Projects must conclude by May 31st.
Priority will be given to projects supporting Strategy 5: Foster Inclusion in UMA’s 2021-2025 Strategic Plan.
Options might include, but are not limited to:
- Creating a stipend for a student worker/intern for DEI related work.
- Funding a guest speaker or speaker series.
- Working with a community organization to sponsor workshops or training.
- Underwriting a project to assist UMA student equity and inclusion.
- Funding the purchase of books, videos, or other physical materials.
Each application will be evaluated by a grant reader committee, to include at least one student evaluator. The applications will be rated on a 1-5 scale in the following categories:
- Potential impact on DEI climate at UMA.
- Strength of project plan/details.
- “WOW” factor: grant stands out for other reasons.
Applications are due by Monday, December 5, 2022. Applicants will be notified of the Committee’s decision regarding their submission in mid-December. All funds for this application round must be spent by May 31, 2023.
For questions and more information contact: Susan Baker at firstname.lastname@example.org or (207) 621-3285.
By application of mini-grant awards, the applicant agrees to serve as Project Manager for the funds, to oversee and be responsible for all budgetary matters, and report back to the DEI Council at the conclusion of the project.