Math Content Area Certificate
The following requirements are effective for students admitted on or after Fall 2017:
UMA Certificate Requirements
- Minimum 50% of the required courses taken through UMA
- Minimum 2.00 G.P.A. in the Certificate
- Successful completion of either the UMA minor or certificate in Secondary Education
Certificate Requirements (24 credit hours)
- MAT 111 Algebra II (3)
- MAT 112 College Algebra (3)
- MAT 115 Elementary Statistics I (3)
- MAT 116 Plane Geometry (3)
- MAT 124 Pre-Calculus (3)
- MAT 125 Calculus I (3)
- MAT 261 Applied Linear Algebra (3)
- MAT 280 Discrete Mathematical Structures (3)
The Mathematics Content Area certificate of study is a designed as one component for students who aspire to teach secondary mathematics, grades 7-12. Completing the stated requirements of the Mathematics Content Area certificate of study will satisfy the 24 credit hours in mathematics required by the Maine Department of Education and both the Certificate and Minor in Secondary Education.
Upon completion of this program, students will be prepared in the following content categories:
- Number and Quantity, Algebra, Functions and calculus
- Geometry, Probability and Statistics, and Discrete Mathematics
For more information, visit Teacher Preparation Programs.
Return to the checksheet page.