The following requirements are effective for students admitted on or after Fall 2017:
Minor Requirements (18 credit hours)
- Complete one of the following (2-3):
- MUH 131 Survey of Jazz & Popular Music (2)
- MUH 333 History and Literature of Music I (3)
- MUS 101 Music Theory and Practice I (4)
- Two semesters of MUS 141 Applied Music: Major Instrument or Voice (4)
- Two semesters of MUS 151 First Year Ensemble Sequence (2)
- Complete one of the following (3):
- MUH 103 Music of the United States
- MUH 117 Dream Machine: A History of Rock and Roll
- MUH 118 Golden Age of Country Music
- MUH 124 Music of the Twentieth Century
- MUH 160 World Music
- MUH 190 Women in Western Music
- MUS 225 The Mysterious Power of Music
- Complete 3-4 credits of music electives to reach 18 credit hours (3-4)
Prerequisites: MUS 101 requires an understanding of the fundamental elements of music theory and as such, a placement test is offered to allow student to test into MUS 101. Alternatively, students could use 2 of their elective credits to complete MUS 122 Fundamentals of Music.
- A minimum of 25% of the credits required for a minor needs to be earned at UMA for it to be awarded.
- A student may be awarded any minor as long as no more than six credits of the minor can be used to fulfill the requirements of the student’s major or concentration.
- Students are encouraged to contact their faculty advisor and the Advising Center for academic advising and support services throughout their stay at UMA.
This program resides under the College of Arts and Sciences
Return to the checksheet page.