Tutoring is an effective strategy to help students increase their understanding of course material and study skills. Qualified peer tutors are typically available for developmental and introductory classes at no charge for currently registered students in the following content areas: Writing, Computer Applications, Math, Study Skills.
Computer Applications Support
UMA Saco Center provides assistance for students to orient them and provide basic instruction in the following computer applications and systems:
- MaineStreet (UMS’s Account Management System)
- BlackBoard (UMS’s Learning Management Platform)
- File management strategies —including use of flash drives and Google Drive
- Word processing applications (Microsoft Word and Google Docs)
- Presentation software
- Basic spreadsheet applications (Excel and Google Sheets)
- Use of communication applications such as Google Hangout
- Accessing on-line student resources such as the distance reference librarian and online tutors
UMA students are eligible for up to two hours of tutoring per week for one-on-one tutoring.
Available By Appointment:
VAWLT (Virtual Academic Writing Lab Tutors)
Distance tutoring at your convenience via the computer:
With extended hours, VAWLTers support writers via phone, email, shared documents, live-chat, and/or video conference — whatever works best for you. In addition, the VAWLT website has loads of resources for college writers. Contact a VAWLTer »