We know the fall semester was challenging…balancing your college studies with family, work and other responsibilities, while staying safe during the pandemic. And, sometimes that can result in a low or failing grade in a UMA course.
In recognition of those challenges, UMA wants to give you another chance to be successful in Spring 2021, by offering the “Make the Grade” program.
A chance to repeat a class…on us!
If you had a low or failing grade in the Fall 2020 semester at UMA, take advantage of the “Make the Grade” program to demonstrate your ability to be academically successful and improve your GPA.
Here’s how it works:
UMA students who matriculated in the fall of 2020 have the opportunity to retake ONE class (four credits or less) from the Fall 2020 semester at no tuition cost. UMA will cover the tuition (not including fees) for a repeat in the Spring 2021 semester. Only courses in which a grade of D+ or lower, L, and WF are valid for this opportunity.*
Complete the brief application form below to request consideration for the Spring 2021 “Make the Grade” program. You will be notified by Enrollment Services staff if your free-repeat course has been approved.
The Fine Print
- You must be a first-time Fall 2020 matriculated student (new or transfer).
- You must be enrolled at least half-time (six credits) as a degree student, in good academic standing, or on academic probation, and academically and financially eligible to enroll in the Spring 2021 semester.
- You must have been enrolled in the Fall 2020 semester and be registered for at least six credits in the Spring 2021 semester.
- Your Fall 2020 semester GPA must be greater than 0.00.
- You must commit to working with Advising and Financial Aid to increase your likelihood of improving your grade.
- The course to be repeated:
- must be offered in the Spring 2021 semester by UMA,
- must have available space (or faculty willing to extend their caps), and
- the course can be offered with a different modality than the modality of the fall class.
- This must be the first attempted repeat of the course.
- Friday, January 22, 2021, is the deadline for submitting the application.
The “Make the Grade” grant will be credited to the student’s Spring 2021 account and will be added only after other grant aid resources (Pell, Pine Tree State Pledge, other waivers) have been applied.
*Students who wish to repeat a course with an earned grade higher than a D+ must appeal to the Vice President of Enrollment Management and Marketing. Appeals will be granted on a case-by-case basis.
COMPLETE THE APPLICATION »