Based on Maine law, the University of Maine System requires students to be immunized against certain diseases and submit official immunization records prior to attending classes, or participation in University activities.

Maine Law requires all degree-seeking students and full-time, non-degree students born after December 31, 1956 to provide proof of the following immunizations:

  • One (1) dose of Tetanus/Diphtheria (Td or Tdap) received within the last ten (10) years.
  • Two (2) doses of Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR) received after (not on) the first birthday.  If measles immunization was done prior to 1968, students must provide proof it was done with a live virus.

Lab results of titer tests showing immunity to Measles, Mumps and Rubella are accepted as long as they are signed or stamped and clearly indicate immunity to all three diseases.

Immunization records must indicate the date of immunization and the immunization agent, and are REQUIRED to be signed or stamped by a physician, nurse, public health official, or school health provider who administered the immunization. Official school or military health records may also be accepted as proof of immunization, as long as they were based on certificates of immunization, and state, at a minimum, the month and year that the immunization was administered.

Get the immunization form here.

Please upload immunization records through the UMS Immunization Portal

An instructional upload guide is available via this link – UMS ITS Website:Student Guide

If you have any questions regarding immunization, please call (207) 621-3079 or 1-877-UMA-1234 (in Maine) or email at

Per Maine law, a student may only be exempted from the University’s Tdap and MMR immunization requirements if the student:

1. Provides a written statement from a licensed physician, nurse practitioner or physician assistant that, in that provider’s judgment, immunization against one or more of the diseases may be medically inadvisable. To submit a request for exemption from the immunization requirements via this form:

Immunization Verification Form


2. Is fully remote and does not physically attend any classes or programs at a facility, campus, center, or site of this University or any other school, and does not reside in the State of Maine.

Additional degree program specific immunization requirements may be required and may need to be provided at the program level. (i.e. Dental, Nursing, & Veterinary Technology)