Explore these tabs to learn more about UMA’s English program.
The English faculty delivering the Bachelor of Arts in English degree at the University of Maine at Augusta is committed to the development and enhancement of our students’ skills, abilities, and competencies and anticipates the following outcomes:
- Think critically about oral, written, and visual texts
- Write well developed expository, persuasive, and critical essays
- Design documents to meet the needs of readers
- Edit documents effectively
- Understand and evaluate the rhetorical strategies writers use to achieve their purposes
- Understand the components of poetry, fictions, and drama
- Have knowledge of works from different periods and genres within the evolving canon of English language texts, including but not limited to texts of women, ethnic and racial minorities, Anglophone authors, and lesbian and gay authors
- Understand the historical contexts of literature
- Understand various critical and theoretical approaches to texts
- Synthesize knowledge and practice through performances, presentations, projects, essays and research papers
- Locate, evaluate and properly cite primary source material, literary criticism, theory, and other scholarly texts
UMA degrees are flexible. Here’s a sample of how you could complete your English degree:
Courses are subject to change. View the official UMA Catalog here.