Explore these tabs to learn more about UMA’s EFDA Program.
- 1 Year full-time clinical experience or associate of science (AS) dental assisting student with CDA credential or bachelor of science (BS) dental hygiene student with RDH credential
- Hold current RDH or CDA
- Completed applications submitted for fall/spring term, reviewed on a rolling basis
- Dentist(s) sponsoring for EFDA student, who is to attend calibration session and to be responsible for the clinical training after classroom training is complete
- Non-refundable deposit submission by March 1st
Contact Torrie Tardiff at 207-262-7870 or firstname.lastname@example.org to request an EFDA Application
The sponsoring dentist and student are required to participate in a calibration meeting which will be held early in the fall semester. The sponsoring dentist will receive CEU credits.
- Preclinical Expanded Functions Lecture and Lab (6 college credit hours)
- First semester
- Clinical Expanded Functions Lab (2 college credit hours)
- Second Semester
- Bench Examination to be administered second semester (cost included in tuition)
- Upon completion of each course, student will earn Maine Category 1 CEU’s and/or Clinical Category DANB CEU’s, and the respective college credits
Please note that the Preclinical Expanded Function Dental Assisting Course, can be used in lieu of the DEH 400 Practicum to fulfill a Bachelor degree in Hygiene. Clinical Expanded Function Dental Assisting Course, is not required for the completion of a Bachelor in Dental Hygiene, however, the course is required if pursuing State of Maine EFDA Certification to practice EFDA skills.
Tuition & Fees
Tuition, Fees and other educational costs are approved annually for each of the seven campuses of the University of Maine System by the Board of Trustees. Tuition and fees may be amended between the time of registration and the beginning of classes pending annual Board review.
Should a student withdraw from the program, University drop/add policies are applicable.
Loupes will be required. Student discount pricing is available.
The Dental Health Programs reserve the right to change the dates, times, or related program costs. The Dental Health Programs also reserve the right to cancel courses due to instructor availability or low student enrollment.