What is a micro-credential?
A “micro-credential” showcases your competency in skills that are needed in today’s workforce. A verified micro-credential is earned when learners are able to demonstrate what they know — and what they are able to do — related to a specific topic.
University of Maine System (UMS) micro-credentials are made up of stacked digital badges, which highlight the skills employers are seeking. They are offered to University of Maine System students and as professional development opportunities for individuals already in the workforce to advance or increase their marketability.
Each University of Main System (UMS) micro-credential is designed to take a learner from foundational knowledge and rigorous training, to application in a real-world work-setting. You can earn three levels of badges taking you from foundational learning to application of that learning. When you earn the final stacked macro-badge in your pathway you have earned the UMS micro-credential.
Why should I earn a UMS micro-credential?
86% of hiring managers indicate that it is “very important” that recent graduates demonstrate the ability to apply knowledge and skills in real-world settings and only 39% think recent graduates are well-prepared to apply skills in real-world settings. Hart Research Associates. Fulfilling the American Dream: Liberal Education and the Future of Work (Washington, D.C.: AAC&U, 2018)
- Makes your competencies visible, beyond what is seen on a transcript or resume
- Demonstrate skills in real-world settings
- Upskill for greater marketability
- Gain work experience and received valuable performance feedback
- Differentiate yourself and stand out to employers
- Better articulate the skills you developed to potential employers
- Enhances your digital identity
- Share your badges and be recognized!
All badges can be shared on social media and professional sites, such as LinkedIn as well as on your website, e-portfolio or resume!
Career Prepared Pathway
Explore the possibilities.
This micro-credential pathway is designed to help you develop your career goals and build career-related skills. Your pathway is completely personalized based on what you articulate in your career action plan.
There are three levels to earning the full micro-credential (click on each icon for more information):
- Current UMA Student
- Preferred: Has completed ENG 101 (or is currently enrolled)
- Micro-credentials quickly establish that you have marketable skills, competencies and experiences.
- Identify your values, interests and transferable skills
- Create a personalized career action plan
- Participate in career exploration activities outlined in your personalized plan
- Earn a 21st Century Skill Badge along the way (see below)
- Gain experience and contacts in your field of interest!
This micro-credential is completely FREE and self-paced!
A Brightspace course has been created for students to earn this micro-credential. You can self-enroll using the following steps:
- Access your Brightspace Dashboard.
- Click on the Discover tab at the top of the page.
- Type in “UMS Career Prepared” in the search bar.
- Self-enroll for free!
To begin Level 1 of the UMS Career Pathway, please enroll in the UMS Career Prepared BrightSpace course:
- Log into Brightpace.
- Click on the Discover tab on the top menu.
- Type in “UMS Career Prepared” into the search bar.
- Self-enroll and get started!
Get Hired with a 21st Century Skill Badge!
Do you have the 21st Century, transferable skills that employers want? Do you feel a need to keep up-to-date in this fast-changing economy? Is there a particular skill that will help you to advance? The University of Maine System was selected as one of three institutions to participate in the Education Design Lab’s Badged to Hire initiative.
Education Design Lab developed eight 21st Century Skill badges to help employers find the talent they need:
- Creative Problem Solving
- Critical Thinking
- Intercultural Fluency
- Oral Communication