What is a micro-credential?
A micro-credential is a verified credential earned when learners demonstrate what they know and are able to do related to a specific area of study. They show their understanding through evidence and application. Micro-credentials are made up of stacked digital badges along a pathway that highlight the skills needed to be successful.
Each UMS micro-credential is designed to take a learner from foundational knowledge and rigorous training, to application in a real-world work-setting. You can earn three levels of badges taking you from foundational learning to application of that learning. When you earn the final stacked macro-badge in your pathway you have earned the UMS micro-credential.
Why should I earn an UMS micro-credential?
86% of hiring managers indicate that it is “very important” that recent graduates demonstrate the ability to apply knowledge and skills in real-world settings and only 39% think recent graduates are well-prepared to apply skills in real-world settings. Hart Research Associates. Fulfilling the American Dream: Liberal Education and the Future of Work (Washington, D.C.: AAC&U, 2018)
- Obtain a valued UMS credential
- Makes your competencies visible, beyond what is seen on a transcript or resume
- Demonstrate skills in real-world settings
- Upskill for greater marketability
- Gain work experience and received valuable performance feedback
- Differentiate yourself and stand out to employers
- Better articulate the skills you developed to potential employers
- Enhances your digital identity
- Share your badges and be recognized!
All badges can be shared on social media and professional sites, such as LinkedIn as well as on your website, e-portfolio or resume!
UMS Career Prepared Learning Pathway
Explore the possibilities.
This micro-credential pathway is designed to help you develop your career goals and build career-related skills. Your pathway is completely personalized based on what you articulate in your career action plan.
There are three levels to earning the full micro-credential (click on each icon for more information):
- Current UMA Student
- Preferred: Has completed ENG 101 (or is currently enrolled)
- Identify your values, interests and transferable skills
- Create a personalized career action plan
- Participate in career exploration activities outlined in your personalized plan
- Earn a 21st Century Skill Badge along the way (see below)
- Gain experience and contacts in your field of interest!
This micro-credential is completely FREE and self-paced!
Get Hired with a 21st Century Skill Badge!
The University of Maine System is continuing to partner with Education Design Labs to offer students the opportunity to earn digital badges in skills employers are looking for in their new hires (there are eight badges in total).