Recognizing diversity is an essential element of academic excellence, the University of Maine at Augusta (UMA) is proud to offer Equity and Inclusion scholarships to students whose academic achievement and varied experiences will enhance and enrich the education of all UMA students and the educational mission of UMA.
About the Award
EI Scholars are provided up to four years of funding provided Scholars meet requirements for continuation of the scholarship.
- Awards for graduate full-time students will consist of $3,000 ($1,500/semester).
- Awards for graduate part-time students will consist of $1,500 ($750/semester).
- Awards for undergraduate full-time students will consist of $4,000 ($2,000/semester).
- Awards for undergraduate part-time students will consist of $2,000 ($1,000/semester).
This scholarship can be used to cover education related expenses including tuition and fees. Two graduate and five undergraduate EI scholarships will be available for awarding each year.
EI Scholars are encouraged to contribute to the UMA community and are invited to participate in the UMA Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Council activities.
Equity and Inclusion Scholars must maintain continuous (fall/spring) enrollment, complete the FAFSA for each aid year, and must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5 for undergraduate students and 3.0 for graduate students.
Scholarship Application Deadline
The scholarship deadline is March 31, 2023 and awards begin in the fall semester.
Scholar Eligibility Criteria
- Be admitted to UMA.
- U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and individuals granted “Refugee” or “Asylee” status in the U.S.
- Complete the FAFSA each aid year of enrollment.
- Have a record of academic merit in high school or prior college work.
How to Apply
- Submit a UMA General Scholarship application by the due date in March.
- Indicate that you are applying for the Equity and Inclusion Scholarship (found near the end of the list of scholarships).
- Upload a response to the EI Scholarship essay prompt as a Word document or pdf with your General Scholarship Application.
- Students applying for additional scholarships should follow the guidelines posted on the Scholarship Application website (e.g. submit a cover letter and resume).
One aspect of UMA’s Strategic Plan is to “Continue to increase diversity in UMA’s student population and work to be inclusive and equitable.”
In 300 words or fewer, please tell us how you would contribute to this goal as an Equity and Inclusion Scholar at UMA. Your answer should demonstrate an understanding of the impact and importance of diversity, equity and/or inclusion at our institution.
|Clarity of understanding of the concepts of diversity, equity, and/or inclusion. Note: Essay does not need to address all three concepts.||Little reflection on the concept(s) and their importance.||Shows an understanding of the concept(s) and their importance||Shows a strong understanding and shares innovative ideas about the impact of the concept(s).|
|That the student has the potential to meaningfully contribute to diversity, equity, or inclusion at UMA||No possible areas of contribution to diversity, equity, or inclusion.||Adequate potential contributions in one of the three areas.||Exceptional contributions in one area or adequate contributions in multiple areas.|
|GPA||Minimum GPA (2.5)||3.0-3.5||3.5 or higher|
EI Scholar Selection
UMA’s DEI Council Scholarship Committee will select the 2023/2024 EI Scholars. Recipients will be notified of their selection no later than May 15th.