Tuition Guarantee for Qualified Maine Students
The University of Maine at Augusta is committed to providing affordable access to a university education, and help students manage the growing costs of a college education. To help ease the financial burden UMA offers The Pine Tree State Pledge.
Through this tuition guarantee program, qualified and eligible entering in-state, full-time first-year students will not pay any out-of-pocket expenses for tuition (regular UMA tuition and differential tuition) and mandatory fees. This program is also available to new in-state full-time and part-time transfer students who have earned at least 30 transferable credits, and are new to the University of Maine System.
Who is eligible to participate in the Pine Tree State Pledge?
- Awarded to new and transfer in-state full-time pell recipients who have tuition and fees that are not covered by other grant aid.
- Eligibility covers 12 consecutive semesters.
- Must successfully complete a minimum of 24 UMA credits each aid year and maintain a minimum cumulative 2.5 GPA. Eligibility will be reviewed at the end of each semester.
- This pledge does not cover room and board or additional items required by the programs, such as differential tuition, program fees, flight time, or other special fees and equipment.
- A completed FAFSA must be on file.
Students awarded these scholarships prior to Fall 2023 will be grandfathered into the eligibility requirements from their original award letter.
Eligibility review will be conducted each term by the Financial Aid department. Reviews will include prior award history, GPA, change of program, and the anticipated graduation date. If a student receives the maximum amount of the awarded scholarship with more than 24 credit hours remaining before graduation, an appeal to the Director of Financial Aid may be made.
Financial Aid retains the right to use professional judgment when awarding and reviewing scholarship awards.
How can I learn more about the Pine Tree State Pledge?
Contact UMA Admissions at 1-877-862-1234.
How much will I receive in tuition assistance?
The actual dollar amount will be determined after the application of all other grant aid received, including Pell Grant, Maine State Grant, University Grants and Scholarships, and any outside scholarships received that are dedicated to tuition costs. The amount can vary each of the four years, based on annual changes in the FAFSA eligibility criteria and availability of other grant aid assistance.
Will I need to borrow loans to attend UMA?
Students may use other grant funds and/or student loans to cover non-tuition expenses including textbooks/supplies, commuting, housing, and meals.
*Funding for this program is limited, but award distribution will continue so long as it is available.