General requirements to be eligible for financial aid.
To be eligible for any of the Federal Student Aid programs, you must meet all of the following criteria:
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen,
- Be admitted to a UMA degree or eligible certificate program,
- Enroll for at least six credit hours each semester (some students may be eligible for Federal Pell Grants while enrolled for less than six credits),
- Show financial need (for most programs),
- Make satisfactory academic progress,
- Be registered with Selective Service if required, and
- Not be in default on repayment of a student loan or owe a refund on a federal grant.
For detailed information regarding eligibility, refer to The Student Guide.
NOTE: Students that have previously earned a prior baccalaureate degree or its equivalent are eligible for Federal Stafford Loans only for their UMA degree.