Find out what to bring along when you move into UMA housing, and what to leave at home.
What to bring to college can be confusing and sometimes stressful. Please use this information to help you out before you load up the car. Also remember that there is a small grocery store and many specialty shops within walking distance in downtown Hallowell, and larger grocery stores, pharmacies, and retail stores available in Augusta and Gardiner.
All suites are furnished with a bed, a desk, a chair, dresser and a closet available to each resident. Please note that all furniture assigned to a room must stay in the room – it will not be moved or stored to make room for your own. You may bring any furniture that you might like to have in your room, (with the exception of waterbeds and lofts), but you should consider what your roommate(s) may also be bringing; talk to them before you make any final decisions. Useful items might be a small bedside table, floor lamp, television stand, rug and so forth. Stevens Commons is renovated historical building building and room size and shapes are not standard.
“May I bring or build a loft in my residence hall room?”
No, we do not allow lofts in student rooms. Some beds in some halls are already semi-lofted. For beds that are not semi-lofted, you may use plastic bed risers for a bit more under-bed storage.
For health, sanitation, and safety reasons, no animals are allowed in the residence halls. This includes pets visiting with family members. The only animals permitted inside our residence halls are non-poisonous fish and the tank/aquarium may not exceed 10 gallons. Each resident is limited to one tank. UMA is not responsible for the loss or harm to any fish due to interruptions in power service.
Residents & family members with therapy and service animals (as defined by the American with Disabilities Act Amendments 2008) must be approved in advance by the Center for Student Support & Development.
Suggested Packing List
There are numerous web pages with lists of items to bring with you to a residence hall. We’ve pulled from several sources to create this list of recommendations for UMA Housing. We also strongly encourage you to check with roommate(s)/suitemates before moving in to avoid duplication. Remember storage is limited!
FOR YOUR BED
Mattresses are extra-long twin size.
- Sheets and pillowcase(s)
- Mattress pad
- Bedspread or comforter
- Noise machine
- Alarm clock
- Bedside lamp
- Under the bed storage trays/bins
- Bedside storage
All electrical items must be UL approved. UMA strongly supports sustainability and energy conservation which means Energy Star rated products are strongly encouraged.
- Computer and accessories
- Power strip with surge protection
- Chargers for all devices
- Thumb drives
- Laptop lock
- Noise cancelling headphones
- Small speakers/Low power stereo
- TV – no wall mounts
- DVD, Blu-ray player
- Gaming systems
- Printer if desired (printing available on campus, not at Stevens Commons)
- Sweats, exercise gear
- Light jacket/rain gear
- Winter jacket
- Sneakers or comfortable/walking shoes
- One set of business-casual clothes
- Coat hangers
- Sewing kit
- 1 pair of dress shoes
- Old pair shoes, old sweatshirt
BATHROOM, HYGIENE, FIRST AID
- Flip flops or shower shoes
- Shower caddy
- Towels, washcloths
- Toiletries (soap, shampoo, shaving kit, dental care, etc.)
- Personal medications, prescriptions
- Simple medical supplies (bandages, aspirin, etc.)
- Hair dryer
- Toilet paper
- Bath mat
- Bathroom/All-purpose cleaner
- Laundry basket
- Stain Remover
- Broom, dustpan
- Trash can and trash bags
- Mini steamer or iron & ironing board
- Folding drying rack
ROOM NEEDS, DECORATIONS
- Posters (no tape, tacks or nails!)
- Small white board and markers
- Pictures of family and friends
- Mini toolkit (including screwdriver, hammer, wrench)
- Area rug
DESK AND SCHOOL SUPPLIES
- Notebooks/binder, folders
- Pens, pencil, pencil sharpener
- Highlighters, sharpies
- Personal organizer/calendar
- Scissors, tape, ruler
- Bulletin board, pushpins
- Dry-erase board
Coordinate with suitemate(s) – storage is limited! All rooms come with a full sized refrigerator, microwave, stovetop and oven. Please do not bring an additional refrigerator or microwave.
- Can opener
- Baking tray
- Pot holders
- Sauce pan
- Frying pan
- Cups, plates, bowls
- Food-storage containers
- Dish towel
- Kitchen/All-purpose cleaner
- Paper Towels
- Dish drying rack
- Keurig machine or comparable machine using a similar brewing mechanism
- Automatic shut off tea kettle
- Travel mug
- Water bottle
- Sports equipment (stored in your room)
- Personal hobby supplies/equipment
- Bicycle (storage available)
ITEMS NOT PERMITTED – PLEASE DO NOT BRING
- Incandescent light bulbs – please use LEDs and compact fluorescents and LEDs.
- Any item with an open flame including candles, incense, oil burning lamps, etc. Lighters are permitted for those students who smoke but you may only smoke/vape off campus property / outside of Stevens Hall. UMA is a tobacco-free campus.
- Cooking or heating appliances with an open coil or heating elements such as hotplates, Bunsen burners, toasters and toaster ovens.
- George Foreman grills, charcoal or gas grills, Fry Daddys, electric frying pans.
- Coffee makers (except Keurig machines or those with similar brewing mechanism).
- Extension cords.
- Weapons of any kind.
- Animals/Pets, except fish or service animals as defined by the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, subject to approval. Fish are limited to non-poisonous fish, maximum capacity of 10 gallons per container, maximum one tank per resident.
- Air conditioners, dehumidifiers.
- Halogen lamps, medusa lamps.
- Ceiling hangings, ceiling fans.
- Alcohol/ drug paraphernalia.
- Bed risers are permitted but must be made of plastic and no taller than 6 inches.