Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) encompasses a process by which students can earn college credit for college-level learning from work and life experience gained outside the traditional classroom setting.
Below you will find links to information about all the avenues by which UMA accepts credit for prior learning. If you feel that you are a candidate for Prior Learning, you are encouraged to speak an advisor or the contacts listed below.
American Council on Education (ACE)
Courses from non-accredited training organizations may be granted transfer credit if they are recognized by the American Council on Education (ACE). The courses must carry a credit recommendation from ACE and be categorized as lower division, upper division, or graduate level. Credit will not be granted for courses at the vocational level.
- An official ACE transcript must be submitted for courses to be considered for transfer credit.
- Credit will be awarded at the ACE recommended level (1xx or 3xx).
- Credit will be designated as general elective credit for subjects with no comparable discipline at UMA, program elective credit, or for a specific course if the ACE recommendation aligns with an existing course.
Transcripts should be sent to the following address:
University of Maine At Augusta
Registrar’s Office, c/o Beth Vigue
70 University Drive
Augusta, ME 04330
Credits earned through external exam or external credential review cannot be used toward meeting residency requirements. Thus, the following PLA credits cannot be used towards meeting UMA residency requirements:
- Advanced Placement (AP) credits
- CLEP Exam credits
- DSST (DANTES) Exam credits
- NLN (National League of Nursing) Exam credits
- External Training/Credential Review credits
- Military Training credits
The following PLA may be used toward meeting residency if they meet the stated criteria:
- Challenge Exam credits must meet the following criteria in order for credits earned to count toward residency:
- Students completing the exams must be matriculated
- Exams must be created and evaluated by UMA faculty
- Academic Portfolio credits must meet the following criteria in order for the credits earned to count toward residency:
- Students must be matriculated
- Portfolios must be evaluated by UMA faculty
No PLA opportunity will impact a student’s GPA in any way, regardless of the score a student earns on the exam. No credits earned through PLA at another University of Maine System institution will count toward the residency requirements for UMA. Exceptions to the PLA residency policy must be approved by the Dean’s Office of the college in which the student’s major resides.
Credit by Examination:
Augusta: Eric Allain, Toll-free: 1.877.UMA.1234 ext. 3392 or 207.621.3392; email@example.com
Augusta/Bangor: Haley Brown, Toll-free: 1.877.UMA.1234 ext. 3130 or 207.621.3130; firstname.lastname@example.org
Augusta/Bangor: Toll-free: 1.877.UMA.1234 ext. 3149 or 207.621.3149; email@example.com
ACE & Transfer:
Beth Vigue, Toll-free: 1.877.UMA.1234 ext. 3291 or 207.621.3291; firstname.lastname@example.org