Congratulations on your new position, and welcome to the University of Maine at Augusta! You’ve picked a great place to work, and we want to provide you with as much information as possible for a successful launch.
Keep in mind that onboarding is a process that takes several months. Take your time to get to know the lay of the land, both within your immediate work environment and the university as a whole.
Take advantage of the many opportunities to network with fellow members of the UMA community; building relationships is key. Here are some of the first steps most University employees need to take to get started.
New Hire Checklist
Before you start at UMA
- Get familiar with the campus locations in Augusta and Bangor, and with UMA Centers statewide.
- Learn about the Employee Benefits offered to you as a University of Maine System employee. For Benefits eligible employees, you will have 31 days from your hire to register for benefits in MaineStreet.
- Become familiar with the official Recognized Holidays.
- Read about Important Policies and, if applicable, your Collective Bargaining Agreements for Represented Employees or Employee Handbooks for Non-Represented Employees.
- Learn about UMA’s Academic Programs.
- Read our Welcome Guide to assist with orientating you to the UMA community.
During your first week of work at UMA
- Complete any compliance training assigned in UMS Academy. You will receive an email from UMS Academy once they are loaded in your profile and ready to be completed.
- Register for any campus or department specific trainings as requested by your department such as:
- Review how to submit/approve electronic timesheets for payroll.
- Obtain your UMA ID Card and learn about the benefits that come with that resource.
- Obtain a parking pass following the parking instructions.
- Make sure that your work space is set up – Do you have a facilities issue or question? Submit a facilities work order.
- Do you need a key for space access?
- Are you in need of IT resources?
- Register for emergency alerts managed by Safety & Security.
- Stop by and register for use of the Fitness Facilities in Augusta and Bangor.
- Familiarize yourself with the internal resources on the My UMA portal and MaineStreet, including MaineStreet user guides.
- Ensure you know how to enter your time online in MaineStreet, or approve it if you are a supervisor:
Beyond the first week
- Explore other resources available to you as a staff member of the university such as your on campus libraries, campus dining options, the UMA Bookstore, the University Credit Union, discounts, and campus community resources.
- Connect with the:
- Learn about Research Integrity and Outreach at UMA.
- Become familiar with Performance Management processes at UMA.